Friday, August 28, 2009

In Which I Dwell Among the Immortals.

.

Tachyon Publications, publishers of many fine books, some of them by (modest cough) yours truly, celebrates its fourteenth anniversary this Sunday at Borderlands Books in San Francisco. I've been there. Terrific bookstore. Great place to drop a lot of money on printed materials you may not technically need but definitely want. The festivities will include the Emperor Norton Awards, a "special giveaway gift" for the first 50 guests, food and drink, special guests, and a tribute to the Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction on its 60th Anniversary. You can find Borderlands here and Tachyon here. Tachyon's blog entry about the event is here.

I won't be there in person, but I will be there in spirit and in audio recording as well.

All of which I mention primarily as justification for boasting about the fact that a story of mine is included in the forthcoming The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction, edited by Gordon Van Gelder and published by -- no surprise here -- Tachyon Publications.

Let me repeat that. A story of mine made it into The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction! We're talking about an anthology that includes Ray Bradbury's "All Summer in a Day," Kurt Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron," Philip K. Dick's "The Electric Ant," and Daniel Keyes's "Flowers for Algernon." And I am there.

Is this the fulfillment of a goal formed many long years before I sold my first story? Why, yes it is. Thank you for asking.

You can see the press release for the book here.

*

2 comments:

Joshua Bales said...

Which story of yours is included?

Michael Swanwick said...

"Mother Grasshopper." It's one of my favorites, and my first sale to the magazine. So I suppose there's nowhere to go but down from here.