Monday, November 2, 2009

Ringing Down the Curtain on the WFC


.

A lot of good people won World Fantasy Awards yesterday. You can find the list here. Two of those good people are shown above: Michael Walsh, of Old Earth Books, for Old Earth Books and especially for publishing Howard Waldrop, and Ellen Asher, who received a lifetime achievement award for her career at the Science Fiction Book Club. They are Heroes of Literature, the both of them.

Afterwards, I asked Ellen how she felt about the standing ovation she'd received. "I was embarrassed," she said. "All I did was sit in an office for thirty-four years."

No. What she did was to be a good friend to the field (particularly to the readers) for the length of her career. Kudos to her. Wild applause.


And now . . .

On the "fun books" panel, I said that reading a book by an author one knew could be trusted explicitly was like getting into a convertible driven by a beautiful woman and leaning back and letting her take you away, while the wind blew in your hair.

"Happen to you much?" one of my fellow panelists said, in (friendly) irony.

As a matter of fact, yes. I'm worn and exhausted and now Marianne's going to pour me into a cherry-red Jeep convertible and drive me up the California coast. I don't know where we're going, but I trust her to get me there.

Well, and hoping you are the same,
Michael

*

1 comment:

Unknown said...

One of the best WFCs I've been to in ages, woo woo!