Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Things It Ought Not To Be Necessary To Say

.
I don't keep a dream diary anymore.  I did for a while, and even wrote up a collection of the best entries, titled "Lord Vacant on the Boulevard of Naked Angels," which can be found here.  But though I managed to maintain it for a couple of years, once I read it through my curiosity was satisfied and I moved on.

Still, every now and then, a remembered detail from one of my dreams piques my interest.  Last night, in the middle of a dream in which I was back in college (but not one, for a miracle, involving final exams for a course I haven't attended), I saw the following public service poster:


"But It Smelled Like My Cat!"
DON'T PLACE LIVE WOLVERINES 
IN YOUR TROUSERS
IT'S ILLEGAL -- AND IT'S WRONG.


Which kinda makes you wonder how that particular fad got started, dunnit?

*

3 comments:

Eileen Gunn said...

Michael, I'd say "This explains a lot!" in a smug, annoying tone, but in fact, this wolverine dream-sign raises far more questions than it answers.

Michael Swanwick said...

I agree entirely. I understand, for instance, why it's wrong to shove wolverines down one's trousers. But why on earth is it illegal?

Eileen Gunn said...

And: if it's illegal and wrong to shove wolverines down your trousers, why is it okay if it smells like your cat?

And: what does this imply about shoving cats down your trousers?

Not to mention any larger questions about motivation, which are perhaps best left unexplored....