Friday, September 9, 2011

The Cyberpunk-Humanist Wars

.




Whoops!  I put this post together to throw online yesterday, while I was on the road, and failed to do so. Oh well.  I'll just what I had planned for today on Monday.

Meanwhile . . . I've posted another excerpt of my conversation with James Patrick Kelly over on YouTube.  This one deals with "The Cyberpunk-Humanist Wars."  That's it up above.

Enjoy.


And just to keep things from getting too sercon . . .

("Sercon," incidentally, is old fannish slang for "serious and constructive" -- usually used to imply that the situation could use a bit more frivolity.)

Here's a video from maybe sixty years ago, predicting what fashions would be like in the year 2000.  It's easy to make fun of how ludicrously wrong most of their guesses were.  What's interesting is what they got right:  the mesh blouse, the woman wearing a version of slacks rather than skirts, and the portable telephone.  It's quite a bit bigger than the one I carry around today -- but a lot smaller than the first mobile phones were.

Enjoy this one as well.





And another quick reminder . . .

Despite the rain, I'm hoping for a good turnout at The Spiral Bookcase this Saturday.  The reading/signing/schmoozing is scheduled for three to five p.m.  I think it'll be fun.

If you're in the area, why not drop by and say hi?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) I wanted to be a thug like Lucius Skepard but can't write worth a lick. Guess I'll always be Henchman #3.

2) I see where Lady Gaga steals her stranger ideas...that and some of the more ludicrous outfits only worn on runways in Rio and Paris. Great hat on Ming of Mongo's brother there at the end!

Michael Swanwick said...

Good career choice, Bruce. Lucius treats his henchmen real well -- not like SOME overlords I could mention.