Friday, August 3, 2012

Going Native

.


As you can see, I've adopted the local garb and am thinking seriously about going into commerce.

Yesterday was a long, mad dash from the Northern Peninsula to Brigus in southeastern Newfoundland near St. Johns.  We did take a ten-minute detour off the road at one point and were rewarded by seeing a bald eagle sitting on a rock in the water.  But mostly we covered ground.  Today we recover.  Tomorrow, it's back to the usual antics.

Brigus is a charming place, very old, home to sealing ship captains and Arctic explorer Bob Bartlett, who kept polar bears here on Molly's Island.  One attraction that's not mentioned in the tour books because it's not open to the public is Rockwell Kent's studio.  I was told that he was quiet friendly.  Then there was a pause and my informant said, "Well, every other year he came here and acted like he didn't know anybody.  But all the other times he was very outgoing, always in your house."

This part of the world appears to be thronged with things to see and experience.  I keep reminding myself that winter here lasts anywhere from ten to eighteen months.  Otherwise, I'd be pricing houses.

*

3 comments:

Eileen Gunn said...

Only a very confident man would allow his picture to be taken at such a moment. It's good thing you're not running for president.

Eileen Gunn said...

Although I would vote for you.

Michael Swanwick said...

I've always meant to run with a platform of high taxes, weak defense, and record unemployment. Thus giving the people, no matter how jaded they may be, a genuine choice.