Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Because I am a Citizen . . .

.



6:45 a. m. this morning, I said to Marianne, "This is what democracy looks like."

She took one look at my haggard, half-asleep face and burst out laughing.

Then I gulped down a cup of coffee and we walked over to Roxborough High and voted.  Marianne was #2 and I was #3.  This election is for judges and related officials only, so the turnout is guaranteed to be low.  And it required a fair amount of work to get even a rudimentary idea of who was worth voting for.  But that didn't stop either of us.

I always vote.  The assembled members of the NRA will voluntarily surrender all their guns long before anyone manages to pry the ballot out of my cold, dead hand.  I know that a lot of people are cynical about its value and consequently don't bother.  To them I will say this:  Your opting out only makes my vote and the Tea Party's votes worth more.

There can't be a lot of people who are happy about both those facts.


Above:  Just to be clear, I applaud the Tea Party folks for voting, and for voting their consciences.  I say that with no irony whatsoever.

*

No comments: